3rd Death Linked To Brain-Eating Amoeba in Tap Water: Report

"A deadly brain-eating amoeba killed a man in his early 20s - the third death linked to the rare parasite this summer, health official said."

"The Louisiana man, who was not identified, died in June after he caught the parasite while rinsing his sinuses with tap water using a neti pot, a small pot used to clean nasal passages, state health official found.

Health investigators found the amoeba in home's water system but said the microscopic critter was confined to the house and not in city water sample, the Associated Press reported.

Reports of the man's death come just days after a 9-year-old Virginia boy and a 16-year-old Florida girl succumbed to the same disease."

Philip Caulfield reports for the New York Daily News August 18, 2011.

SEE ALSO:

"Brain Eaters in the Water" (New York Post)

"Brain Eating Amoebas Are Scary, But Water Has More Common Bugs" (Los Angeles Times)

"CDC: Peak Season for Brain-Eating Amoeba" (Atlanta Journal Constitution)

"How to Protect Yourself from Deadly Amoeba" (Fox)

Source: NY Daily News, 08/19/2011