"Dog Food Recall Underscores Toxic Danger in Drought-Hit U.S. Corn"
"High levels of a dangerous toxin found in bagged dog food on a grocery store shelf in Iowa have highlighted the prevalence of a problematic mold in last year's U.S. corn crop, as state and federal officials work on limiting the food safety concern."
"'Last year's corn crop - it is a huge issue. We test every load coming in. And we reject a lot of loads,' said Michael Wright, chief executive officer of Pro-Pet, an Ohio-based pet food manufacturer that learned last week some of its product was tainted with aflatoxin, a naturally occurring poison that can cause serious illness or even death if consumed.
Aflatoxin is the byproduct of a mold that flourishes in dry conditions, and last year's historic drought in the U.S. Midwest put everyone from farmers to grain handlers and food industry officials on high alert."Source: Reuters, 02/26/2013