"We've long known that the fish we eat are exposed to toxic chemicals in the rivers, bays and oceans they inhabit. The substance that's gotten the most attention — because it has shown up at disturbingly high levels in some fish — is."
But mercury is just one of a slew of synthetic and organic pollutants that fish can ingest and absorb into their tissue. Sometimes it's because we're dumping chemicals right into the ocean. But as a published recently in Nature, Scientific Reports helps illuminate, sometimes fish get chemicals from the plastic debris they ingest.
'The ocean is basically a toilet bowl for all of our chemical pollutants and waste in general,' says , a postdoctoral researcher at the University of California, Davis, who authored the study. 'Eventually, we start to see those contaminants high up in the food chain, in seafood and wildlife.'"