Millions Lose Power After Japan Aftershock

"TOKYO — More than 900,000 households remained without electricity on Friday after the strongest aftershock to hit since the March 11 earthquake and tsunami in Japan rocked a wide section of the country’s northeast.

The aftershock on Thursday night prompted a tsunami alert, raised fears of new strains on the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant and knocked out external power at three other nuclear facilities.

The public broadcaster, NHK, said two people had died in Miyagi and Yamagata, including a 63-year-old woman whose ventilator stopped working in the blackout. Many more were injured. Of about 3.6 million households initially affected, 950,000 were still without power Friday afternoon, The Associated Press reported, quoting the utility that serves the region.

No tsunami was detected, the Japan Meteorological Agency said. The aftershock had a magnitude of 7.1, according to the United States Geological Survey; last month’s quake, which devastated much of the northeastern coast, was measured at 9.0."

Hiroko Tabuchi And Andrew Pollack report for the New York Times April 8, 2011.

SEE ALSO:

"Another Severe Earthquake Rattles Japan" (ENS)

"Why More Shaking Is In Japan's Near Future" (NPR)

Source: NY Times, 04/08/2011