"New Norovirus Linked to New Orleans Oyster Beds"

"NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana, April 18, 2010 (ENS) - A new report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed a new strain of norovirus, which has sickened dozens of people and forced the closure of several oyster harvest areas in the Louisiana area.

The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals said in a statement Friday that "because the strain is new, few people are immune to it causing more outbreaks."

"People should wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water after using the toilet, before consuming food, and before preparing food," said State Health Officer Dr. Jimmy Guidry. "If everybody did this, we could prevent a majority of the illness caused by these viruses."

Several oyster beds in Plaquemines and St. Bernard parishes were closed earlier this month after tests linked the norovirus outbreak to those beds. They were reopened on Thursday and Fridays, after tests determined them to be safe for harvesting oysters. "

Environment News Service had the story April 18, 2010.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/apr2010/2010-04-19-093.html


See Also:

"Oyster Grounds Re-Opening Across State" (New Orleans Times-Picayune)

Source: ENS, 04/20/2010