Find fellowships, conferences, grants and awards deadlines, workshops and networking opportunities, crowd-sourced leads to job banks, reporting toolkits, hundreds of MOOCs and more. GO >>
COVID-19 Resources for Teachers
- Pandemic Pedagogy1 and Pandemic Pedagogy: Unrelated Facebook pages on teaching during COVID-19
- "A Quick-and-Dirty Back-to-School Guide for the Apocalyptical Educator," SEJ EJ Academy, Sep 9, 2020, by Bernardo H. Motta.
- "In Days of Social Distancing, Getting the Goods … Virtually," SEJournal's EJ Academy, April 15, 2020, by Cynthia Barnett.
- "Pandemic Offers Challenges, Opportunities for Teaching," SEJournal's EJ Academy, March 25, 2020, by Bob Wyss.
Instructors in environmental journalism often find it useful to share ideas and resources, reading suggestions and examples of student projects. See also resources for students below.
Resources for teachers
Listserve for SEJ Educators — SEJ operates the SEJ-edu e-mail listserv to serve as a forum for teachers and students to exchange information about teaching and learning environmental journalism. If you're an SEJ member, we welcome your participation. Go here for information on joining the listserv and accessing archives. The listserv is managed by Dave Poulson.
Peer reviewed journals in science and environmental communication
Other professional groups and training resources
Reynolds Institute: a two-week journalism training program for high school teachers, from American Society of News Editors.
UC Santa Barbara: Lectures/video website in honor of Bill Freudenburg, author, educator, science communicator and beloved member of the SEJ community, who died December 28, 2010. It contains 15 videos of Bill Freudenburg, including:
♦ Bill in His Own Words (interview of Bill done in November 2010)
♦ The Legacy of Bill (tributes from colleagues who attended Freudenfest)
♦ Bill's Blowout in the Gulf Lecture (lecture on his latest book, November 2010)
♦ 12 class lectures by Bill, part of his "ENVS 1 Intro to Environmental Studies" course (fall quarter, 2010). Note: Turn your volume up.
Resources for students
- SEJ's compilation of graduate education in environmental journalism, as well as scholarships for journalism education.
- LA Tutors awards students who showcase their creativity and make positive impacts with a $500 Innovation in Education Scholarship. On an ongoing monthly basis, this scholarship is open to all currently enrolled high school and college students who showcase their creativity while helping those around them (whether that be in a creative fundraiser, inventive new app, series of blog posts on a particular theme, or another idea). The application deadline is 11:59 pm PST on the 20th of each month.
- OneClass Freshman Scholarship: OneClass is giving away US$100,000 in individual scholarships to students who are enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a full-time student in 2019/2020 academic year at an accredited US, Canadian or Australian post-secondary institution. Individual freshman scholarships will range from $450 - $2000 depending on how many courses the student is enrolled in. Deadline: Feb 29, 2020.
- Online Communication Degree Programs (includes links to MOOCs and other free programs)
- STDLabs is offering a $1500 award for the Fall 2020 semester (deadline Nov 1, 2020) and for the Spring 2021 semester (deadline Jun 1, 2021). Available to any student currently enrolled in any degree program at any accredited U.S. university. The mission of the "Test Yourself" Scholarship is to highlight the character-building value of facing a challenge head on.
Suggestions and questions: Sara Shipley Hiles, SEJ's Board Representative for the Academic Membership