Find fellowships, conferences, grants and awards deadlines, workshops and networking opportunities, crowd-sourced leads to job banks, reporting toolkits, hundreds of MOOCs and more. GO >>
COVID-19 Resources for Teachers
- Pandemic Pedagogy: Facebook page on teaching during COVID-19
- "In Days of Social Distancing, Getting the Goods … Virtually," SEJournal's EJ Academy, April 15, 2020, by Cynthia Barnett.
- "Pandemic Offers Challenges, Opportunities for Teaching," SEJournal's EJ Academy, March 25, 2020, by Bob Wyss.
Instructors in environmental journalism often find it useful to share ideas and resources, reading suggestions and examples of student projects.
Resources for teachers
Listserve for SEJ Educators — SEJ operates the SEJ-edu e-mail listserv to serve as a forum for teachers and students to exchange information about teaching and learning environmental journalism. If you're an SEJ member, we welcome your participation. Go here for information on joining the listserv and accessing archives. The listserv is managed by Dave Poulson.
Peer reviewed journals in science and environmental communication
Other professional groups and training resources
Reynolds Institute: a two-week journalism training program for high school teachers, from American Society of News Editors.
UC Santa Barbara: Lectures/video website in honor of Bill Freudenburg, author, educator, science communicator and beloved member of the SEJ community, who died December 28, 2010. It contains 15 videos of Bill Freudenburg, including:
♦ Bill in His Own Words (interview of Bill done in November 2010)
♦ The Legacy of Bill (tributes from colleagues who attended Freudenfest)
♦ Bill's Blowout in the Gulf Lecture (lecture on his latest book, November 2010)
♦ 12 class lectures by Bill, part of his "ENVS 1 Intro to Environmental Studies" course (fall quarter, 2010). Note: Turn your volume up.
Resources for students
- SEJ's compilation of graduate education in environmental journalism, as well as scholarships for journalism education.
- OneClass Freshman Scholarship: OneClass is giving away US$100,000 in individual scholarships to students who are enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a full-time student in 2019/2020 academic year at an accredited US, Canadian or Australian post-secondary institution. Individual freshman scholarships will range from $450 - $2000 depending on how many courses the student is enrolled in. Deadline: Feb 29, 2020.
- Online Communication Degree Programs (includes links to MOOCs and other free programs)
Suggestions and questions: Sara Shipley Hiles, SEJ's Board Representative for the Academic Membership