SEJ.ORG DIRECTORY POLICY
SEJ’s online directory exists to allow greater ease of networking among members. Member data is not to be collected for the purpose of mass mailings, mass emailings, or to be added to an existing database or to create a new database.
SEJ DISCUSSION-LIST POLICIES
1) PRIVACY: In order to foster frank and open communication among SEJ members, SEJ has agreed that the discussion lists and discussion-list archives will be private forums. Comments to any SEJ discussion list are considered off-the-record, and are not to be published, broadcast, or redistributed in any form beyond this list without permission.
This includes forwarding postings or excerpts from postings via e-mail or other means, including to other e-mail discussion lists. It applies even if there is no intention to name the author of the posting that you wish to forward, and regardless of the content of the posting.
Violating the Privacy clause can result in being unsubscribed from the listserv or losing membership in SEJ.
2) EXCEPTIONS: To quote (in an article or other public media) or otherwise share or redistribute information from an SEJ discussion list posting by any means (including e-mail forwarding), permission must first be obtained from the author of that posting. This is both common courtesy and SEJ members’ obligation under these policies.
The only exceptions to this are the following types of announcements that are often forwarded to SEJ’s discussion lists: Information about useful resources (such as: "Here's a good ozone web site...") Very brief announcements of job openings, events, or services. (This does not include press releases. See #5 below.)
3) COPYRIGHTS: Sometimes members want to post the full text of an article or other copyrighted materials to the SEJ discussion list. Respect other listers’ hard-drive space and post a link to the article instead. If posting the entire article or other material is for some reason necessary, consider the copyright. If you hold the copyright to the material, you must indicate that clearly in the posting. If you do not hold the copyright, you must obtain permission from the copyright holder before you post the copyrighted content to the list, and your posting must indicate clearly who holds that copyright, and that you are posting with permission. Under no circumstances will members post copyrighted materials without permission.
4) MANNERS: ideas can be stated strongly, but rudeness, condescension and disrespect are to be avoided. Avoid creating, and elongating, flame wars. Civil rebuttals are welcome -- even encouraged on the list. Sensitive messages must be sent privately and kept off SEJ’s discussion lists.
5) NO PRESS RELEASES: This is not the correct list for posting full press releases. To post a press release, visit http://www.sej.org/reaching-sej-members and download a press release distribution form. SEJ makes this service available to members at the special rate of $100. Announcements of one or two paragraphs including contact information and posted in a conversational style are acceptable.
6) NO ATTACHED FILES: Files may not be attached to SEJ’s discussion-list postings. If you need to make a file available to SEJ members, please post information about how interested people can obtain it from you (via private e-mail, Web, ftp, etc.)
7) SHARED E-MAIL ADDRESSES: SEJ’s discussion lists are open only to current SEJ members. No shared addresses (which can be accessed by more than one person) are allowed to be subscribed.