"WATERFLOW — The sickness came in increments, a slow onslaught of weight loss, stomach pain and extreme diarrhea."
"By July 1982, Waterflow resident R.G. Hunt Jr. didn't know what else to do, so he went to the hospital.
"I said, 'I just feel like I'm dying,'" Hunt said. ...
Shortly after, he was diagnosed with heavy metal poisoning, and by late 1982 he felt he knew what the culprit was -- drinking water contaminated by heavy metals leeching from coal ash at San Juan Generating Station and San Juan Mine."