The next major round of international negotiations on climate change is scheduled for Oct. 29 - Nov. 9, 2001, in Marrakech, Morocco. Some participants anticipate that the talks will be primarily technical in nature, hammering out details on policies developed in the previous round in Bonn, Germany. Others say the talks are just another round of posturing, and that no agreements will ever be reached.
Proponents of the Kyoto Protocol hope that the Marrakech meetings will move discussions along significantly enough that it can be ratified by September 2002 at the Johannesburg World Summit on Sustainable Development.
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, media contact, Michael Williams  (Geneva), 011-41-22-917-8242. Press Release .
- World Resources Institute , Kevin Baumert , 202-729-7731
- Competitive Enterprise Institute , Myron Ebell , 202-331-1010
- Climate change background: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 
- See TipSheet of May 23, 2001 , for additional climate change resources.