Find fellowships, conferences, grants and awards deadlines, workshops and networking opportunities, crowd-sourced leads to job banks, reporting toolkits, hundreds of MOOCs and more. GO >>
The Trump Administration and the Environment: A Reporter’s Primer
This is a mini-conference sponsored by the Society of Environmental Journalists and New York University-DC.
When: Saturday, February 04, 2017 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Where: New York University - DC
1307 L St. NW
Washington DC, 20005
Metro stops: Metro Center (Red, Blue, Orange, and Silver Lines), Farragut North (Red Line), McPherson Square (Blue, Orange, and Silver Lines).
Can't make it? The event will be streamed live.
WATCH on Sat. Feb. 4, 10AM - 5PM EST
(The video footage will also be archived for later viewing.)
9:30 a.m. Registration
10 a.m. Welcome by Seth Borenstein
10:10 a.m. Water issues, G. Tracy Mehan III, American Water Works Association, former George W. Bush EPA appointee.
11 a.m. EPA policy at large, Myron Ebell, Trump transition team
12:30 p.m. Lunch on your own
1:15 p.m. Energy, Scott Segal, fossil fuels attorney
2 p.m. Bob Perciasepe, Center for Climate & Energy Solutions, former Obama andClinton EPA appointee (for a view on what it’s like inside)
2:30 p.m. Break
2:45 p.m. Environmental advocates: Susan Casey-Lefkowitz, Natural Resources Defense Council; Kenneth Kimmell, Union of Concerned Scientists; Jeff Ruch, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility
3:15 p.m. Public opinion and climate communications: Ed Maibach, George Mason University
3:45 Panel of reporters: Jill Colvin, Associated Press, Washington, D.C. (she covered Trump on the campaign and will cover environmental issues in the White House); Andrew Revkin, formerly of The New York Times and now of ProPublica (historical context, especially on G.W. Bush and climate and environment, and past controversies); Sarah Terry-Cobo, The Journal Record, Oklahoma City (she covered Scott Pruitt); TBA Texas reporter who covered Rick Perry
5 p.m. Adjourn
What’s open, what’s not:
Some places in downtown Washington DC near NYU/DC aren’t open on weekends. Here are some parking and food spots open on Saturdays near NYU/DC, 1307 L Street NW, Washington DC.
· One Franklin Square, 1018 13th ST. NW, 24 hours; credit cards accepted; (around corner, the closest) https://www.parkme.com/lot/80139/one-franklin-square-washington-d-c-dc
· 1125 15th St. NW, closes 5 pm. On Saturday; https://www.pmi-parking.com/r/parking/view.aspx?record_id=174&searchSource=daily&searchAddress=1100%2013th%20Street%20Northwest,%20Washington,%20DC,%20United%20States
· 1401 H Street NW, closes 10 pm on Saturday; https://www.pmi-parking.com/r/parking/view.aspx?record_id=61&searchSource=daily&searchAddress=1100%2013th%20Street%20Northwest,%20Washington,%20DC,%20United%20States
· Maddy’s Taproom, 1100 13th St. (next door) Open 11 am to midnight; American pub fare: http://maddystaproom.com/home/ Yelp rating 3.5 stars $$ moderate; Menu: https://www.yelp.com/menu/maddys-taproom-washington/main-menu
· Pizza Autentica, 1331 L St (three doors down), Open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.; NY style pizza; Yelp rating 3 stars; $ inexpensive: Menu: http://pizzaautenticawashingtondc.com/16954
· Au Bon Pain, 1100 13th St (around corner) Open 7 am to 5 p.m. chain bakery/cafe; Yelp rating 2.5 stars; $ inexpensive; Menu: http://aubonpain.com/sites/default/files/menu_full.pdf
· Dominos Pizza 1300 L St. (across street). Chain pizza.
· Dunkin’ Donuts, 1101 14th St (a few doors down); open 7 to 7; chain donuts, coffee, sandwiches
· Jimmy John’s, 1101 14th St, (around corner); open 11 to 9 pm Chain subs/sandwiches
· City Buffet Restaurant, 1101 14th St.; (around corner) open 11 am to 9:30 pm; Chinese food; Yelp rating 2.5 stars; $$ moderate; Menu: http://citybuffetwashington.com/19409;
· Chix, 1121 14th St. (around corner, block away), open 11 am to 9:30 p.m. Latin-style chicken; Yelp rating 3.5 stars; $ inexpensive; menu: http://www.chixdc.com/menu/
· Subway, 1401 K St, NW (block&half away), open 8 am to 10 pm ; chain subs/sandwiches
· & pizza, 1400 K St., NW; (block&half away) open 11 am to 4am; small artisan pizza chain (sort of craft your own slice of pizza meets chipotle); Yelp rating 4.5 stars; $ inexpensive; https://www.yelp.com/menu/and-pizza-washington-15