Foundation grants have made it possible for SEJ to underwrite projects proposed by news organizations:
For Reporting on Marine and Coastal Issues of the Gulf of Mexico 2017 - 2019:
The Times-Picayune | NOLA.com for expansion of its Coastal Desk. This team has produced several hundred print, multimedia and online stories (see some examples below), including comprehensive features co-published with The New York Times. More than 700,000 individual visitors have read Coastal Desk reports online. Tens of thousands more were reached through print editions and broadcast partnerships. The Walton Family Foundation is SEJ’s third-party underwriter for this project.
In 2017-18, Nola.com | The Times-Picayune and The New York Times co-published "Our Drowning Coast," examining Louisiana's coastal loss and its human impact.
- "Left to Louisiana's tides, Jean Lafitte fights for time," February 24, 2018, by Kevin Sack and John Schwartz (NYT).
- "Fortified but still in peril, New Orleans braces for its future," February 24, 2018, by Mark Schleifstein (NOLA.com | T-P), and John Schwartz (NYT).
- "Insects feast on Louisiana wetlands, inviting the Gulf in," February 24, 2018, by Tristan Baurick (NOLA.com | T-P).
- How we reported 'Our Drowning Coast'
- See the project's presentation in The New York Times.
- Announcement: New York Times and Times-Picayune: Coastal Reporting Partnership, April 30, 2017.
Coverage of T-P/NYT coastal-reporting partnership:
- "A local news SOS from the Denver Post" (interview with NYT executive editor Dean Baquet; see 00:45), CNN, April 8, 2018.
For Reporting on Western Lands:
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation is SEJ’s third-party underwriter for these Western Land projects.
The Guardian | theguardian.org and co-publishing partners for "This Land is Your Land," investigative reports on U.S. Public Lands and related issues including “privatization, energy extraction and climate change,” 2018 - 2019.
- "Meet the New Grand Canyon Ranger Who Is Older Than the National Park," Pacific Standard/The Guardian, February 27, 2019, by Eric Lutz.
- "Inside the Fight Against the Growing Cactus Black Market," Pacific Standard/The Guardian, February 20, 2019, by Annette McGivney.
- The Guardian launched an in-depth co-publishing investigation on US national parks on November 20, 2018. "Crisis in our national parks: how tourists are loving nature to death" was published in collaboration with The Denver Post, Missoulian, The Salt Lake Tribune and Bozeman Daily Chronicle.
- "Starbucks Cafe Opens in Yosemite, to Delight and Dismay," Earth Island Journal/The Guardian, March 26, 2018, by Gabrielle Canon.
High Country News |HCN.org, general support for HCN in-depth reporting of public lands, western economies, wildlife, renewable energy, fossil fuel development, and other conservation and community issues, 2019 - 2021.