Journalists are heroes of democracy. For our 31st Anniversary on February 14, 2021, SEJ is sending Valentines to our heroes throughout the years. If you have a journalism hero, tell us using #HonoringTheHeroes. There's no need to donate in order to give your journalism heroes a well-deserved shout-out, but as always we welcome your contributions in their name at www.sej.org/donate and we'll add them to our Wall of Heroes.
For 31 years, SEJ's programs have been designed by journalists, for journalists to help them cover the most important stories on the planet. Donations — from individuals, foundations, and organizations — make it possible to meet our goal of improving and increasing environmental journalism in these challenging times. We are grateful for the critical support from our donors, which has allowed us to move the needle on environmental coverage.
Just a few examples of our impact in 2020:
- SEJ’s 2020 Virtual Conference convened more than 580 people online, for four socially distant days of events featuring Senators, tribal leaders, award-winning filmmakers, and inspiring artists. While this was a conference like no other, more than 93% of the respondents said they would recommend the conference to their colleagues.
- SEJ’s Fund for Environmental Journalism distributed more than $750,000 in story and position grants to environmental reporters — including $165,000 in Rapid Response Grants to 46 projects that supported more than 72 journalists with stipends during the COVID-19 crisis.
- SEJ’s Freedom of Information Task Force joined forces with our fellow journalism organizations to protest lack of access to information at government agencies, support legal efforts to protect reporters, and advocate for press freedom, including condemning police abuse of reporters covering protests.
- More than 150 journalists were recognized by their peers in SEJ's annual awards program, including the Nina Mason Pulliam Award for Outstanding Environmental Reporting, a $10,000 cash prize awarded to the team behind “Polluter's Paradise,” an innovative investigation of Louisiana's Cancer Alley.
- SEJ's Members in Need Fund helped more than 50 members facing financial difficulties continue their membership or participate in SEJ programs.
Happy Valentine's Day to our donors. Thank you for your generous and meaningful support in 2020, and I hope to thank you in person in 2021!
THANK YOU, 2020 DONORS!
Foundation Grants and Sponsors:
Boise State University | Bracewell | The Bullitt Foundation | Craigslist Charitable Fund | The David and Lucile Packard Foundation | Earthjustice | First Solar | FJC: A Foundation of Philanthropic Funds | Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation | MacArthur Foundation | Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable Trust | Ocean Conservancy | Orange County Community Foundation | The Pew Charitable Trusts | Ray Reece Environmental Journalism Foundation | Scripps Howard Foundation | Walton Family Foundation | The Wilderness Society | William and Flora Hewlett Foundation | Woodwell Climate Research Center | Wyss Campaign for Nature
Eleanor Drey and Warren Saunders | Jay Letto and Dawn Stover | Meaghan Parker and Damon Horn | Mark Schleifstein | Kate Sheppard | Carolyn Whetzel
Len Ackland | Jennifer Bogo | Dan Fagin | Stuart Leavenworth | Greg Pasztor | Nancy Rabalais | The Todd Family | Roger Witherspoon
Emilia Askari | Jay Austin | Felicity Barringer | Margie Bauman | Kevin Beaty | Jennifer Bogo | Jane Braxton Little | Chris Bruggers | James Bruggers | Russell Clemings | Michael Crispino | Joyce Cutler | Katy Daigle | Beth Daley | Anthony Davis | James Detjen | Dennis Dimick | Breanna Draxler | Sara Edelson | Judy Fahys | Peter Fairley | Kathie Florsheim | Sharon Friedman | Bridget Gallagher | Kathryn Gavaghan | Christy George | Karan Goel | Gloria Gonzalez | Nancy Grossman | Michael Grunwald | Mick Hans | Karl Hausker | Bonita Hay | Susan Hess | Jane Kay | Michael Keating | Rocky Kistner | Michael Kodas | Elizabeth Kolbert | Kathiann Kowalski | Scott Kravitz | Robert Labaree | Charles Lewis | Jane Lubchenco | Cindy MacDonald | Bobby Magill | John Manuel | Hugh McDiarmid | Victoria McKinnon | Susan Moran | Casey Neill | Anne B. Paine | Daniel Parker | Ann Parson | Julia Pyper | Cristine Russell | Benjamin Ryan | David Sassoon | Craig Saunders | Kati Schmidt | Sara Shipley Hiles | Lori Sinsley | Ted Smith | Muriel Strand | Meera Subramanian | John Triplett | Chelsea Wald | Morris Ward | Michael Warren | Timothy Wheeler | Denny Wilkins | Edward Wolf | plus anonymous donors
Elisabeth Abram | Terri Anderson | Nancy Averett | Frances Backhouse | Richard Blaustein | Ashley Braun | Hillary Brown | Shannon Brown | Allison Burd | Siri Carpenter | Jonathan Cobb | Leslie Comnes | Tripp Crouse | Joseph Davis | Gloria Dickie | Benjamin Dills | Jenni Doering | Victoria Durgin | Maria Gallucci | Beth Gardiner | Melissa Gaskill | Justin Gerdes | Emily Gertz | Virginia Gewin | Steve Gibb | Adam Glenn | Ben Goldfarb | Lawrence Grossman | Tom Hayden | Christine Heinrichs | David Helvarg | Mary Hoff | Don Hopey | Susan Jewell | Barbara Jones | Cheryl Katz | Charlotte Kidd | Elizabeth Kimbrough | Matthew King | Chuck Kutscher | Laurel Ladwig | John Laitner | Leonore Lakshmanan | Robin Lloyd | Randy Loftis | Francesca Lyman | Christine MacDonald | Barbara Maynard | Quinn McVeigh | Craig Miller | Ronald Moir | Ian Morse | Lela Nargi | Christine Nelson | Jennifer Oldham | Sharon Oosthoek | Elizabeth Papa | Beth Parke | Juliet Pinto | Helen Prothero | Sean Reilly | Bruce Ritchie | Ry Rivard | Anne Rosenthal | Sharon and Michael Roth | Daniel Rothberg | Luke Runyon | Dianne Saenz | Karen Schaefer | David Senatillaka | Richard Sima | Mark Simon | Sarah Spicer | Jenny Splitter | Ron Steffens | Maura Stephens | Michael Svoboda | Mc Nelly Torres | Valerie Vande Panne | Lindsay VanSomeren | Scott Wallace | Christopher Welter | Elsa Wenzel | Clint Wilder | Christine Woodside | Lina Zeldovich | Katarina Zimmer | plus anonymous donors