When the Delaware City Refinery complex opened in 1957, the petrochemical trade press hailed it with superlatives. It was the largest single refinery project ever built, and became a hub for an industry that sprawled into Pennsylvania and New Jersey. "Today, most of Delaware City's chemical plants have closed, the result of tougher economic conditions and environmental laws."
Jeff Montgomery reports for the Wilmington News Journal November 22, 2009.
Source: Wilmington News-Journal, 11/23/2009