July 9, 2019 — SEJ joined the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press and 37 other news media organizations in signing a letter to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency arguing against its proposed changes to Freedom of Information Act regulations.
The letter states "the News Media Coalition is deeply concerned about the Proposed Rule, which contains provisions that undermine the Act, are impermissible under clear, binding D.C. Circuit precedent, and would diminish journalists' ability to gather and report information to the public about the actions of the EPA and its personnel. Equally concerning is the EPA's attempt to implement the Proposed Rule without giving members of the press and the public adequate notice and an opportunity to comment..."
- Text of the July 9, 2019, RCFP/News Media Coalition letter to Christopher T. Creech, Office of General Counsel, U.S. EPA.
- July 12, 2019, RCFP release.
- SEJ Objects to EPA's 'Freedom of Information Act Regulations Update', June 26, 2019.
- Text of SEJ's June 26, 2019, letter to U.S. EPA Administrator Wheeler.
- June 27, 2019, EPA release in response to SEJ's letter.
- Text of SEJ's July 9, 2019, letter to EPA's Elise Packard, Deputy General Counsel for Operations, and Timothy Epp, Acting Director, National FOIA Office, responding to EPA's June 27 release.
Coverage of the FOIA rule issue:
- "Green groups sue EPA over 'sweeping overhaul' of public records policy," The Hill, July 24, 2019, by Miranda Green.
- "NOTEBOOK: Grassley blasts EPA for new secrecy move," Business Record, July 23, 2019, by Perry Beeman.
- "Bipartisan senators fight 'political considerations' in EPA's new FOIA rule," The Hill, July 22, 2019, by Rebecca Beitsch.
- "More lawyers, politics involved with EPA FOIA requests," Brunswick News, July 16, 2019, by Wes Wolfe.
- "The environment for reporters covering EPA just got a lot more toxic," The Washington Post, July 12, 2019, by Paul Farhi.
- "Press, green groups urge delay for FOIA regs," Greenwire, July 10, 2019, by (subscription required).
- "Pressure mounts against EPA's new FOIA rule," The Hill, July 10, 2019, by Miranda Green.