Meet SEJ member Alexandria Herr! Alexandria is a multimedia journalist reporting on climate change, particularly climate adaptation, climate solutions, ecology and environmental justice. Her writing has appeared in Grist, the Guardian, Floodlight, Capital and Main, Slate, Atmos and elsewhere. She is currently a producer at Post Script Media, where she leads production on The Carbon Copy, a weekly climate news podcast distributed through Canary Media. Previously, Alexandria was a fellow at Grist, reporting on climate news and politics. Before that, she pursued a Master's degree in Environmental Change and Management at Oxford, and a Ph.D. at UCLA focused on environmental justice and climate adaptation. As a journalist, Alexandria focuses on long-form, narrative storytelling about climate change, environmental justice and ecology, and believes that good climate journalism not only reveals the structural causes and impacts of climate change, but also points to paths to a sustainable, just future.
Alexandria recommends SEJ membership and the annual conference in particular. She said, "Attending the #SEJ2022 conference was an amazing experience. I met other journalists covering climate and environment, learned reporting skills through the training sessions, and was able to learn from experts during the field trips. I can't recommend it enough to other early-career journalists looking to network and learn skills relevant to environment and climate reporting." Register for #SEJ2023 in Boise, Idaho now.
Check out some of Alexandria's work:
- "A Breakout Year for Carbon Removal?" The Carbon Copy, December 6, 2022.
- "A Reality Check on Corporate Sustainability," The Carbon Copy, November 16, 2022.
- "From Empty Concrete to Offshore Wind Hub," The Carbon Copy, October 13, 2022.
- "The Hidden History of California Oil," The Carbon Copy, May 11, 2022.
- "The Climate Reality of Roe v. Wade," Atmos, May 9, 2022.
- "'They Criminalize Us’: How Felony Charges Are Weaponized Against Pipeline Protesters," Floodlight via The Guardian, February 10, 2022.
- "Points of No Return," Grist, 2021.
- "The Line 3 Pipeline Protests Are About Much More Than Climate Change," Grist, June 9, 2021.
- "Mercury in Our Waters: The 10,000-Year Legacy of California’s Gold Rush," KCET TV, September 30, 2020.
Members: we want to put the #SEJSpotlight on you! Sign up here to participate.
Not yet a member? Join us today!