Meet SEJ member Gwendolyn Craig! Gwen has covered public policy and environmental regulation for the Adirondack Explorer magazine since January 2020. She takes photos and videos for the Explorer's magazine and website and shares her content with the Times Union in Albany. The Adirondack Park is an approximately 6-million acre mix of public and private lands, some protected as "forever wild" forest preserve under the state constitution. Gwen's coverage, from inside the park and from inside the state capitol, helps people understand the Adirondack community, culture and the legislation and public financing that impact the region. She is a current member of the Legislative Correspondents Association of New York. Gwen has worked at various news outlets since 2015. Prior to moving to upstate New York, she worked for a D.C. Metro-area public relations firm, producing digital content for clients. She has a master's degree in journalism from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. She has bachelor's degrees in English and journalism, with a concentration in ecology and evolutionary biology, from the University of Connecticut. Gwen is also a part-time figure skating coach.
When asked if she would recommend SEJ membership to her colleagues, Gwen said, "Yes, it is a great organization that helps you continue learning better ways to cover your beat. I'd also recommend the mentor program to any new reporters." Join Gwen — apply for SEJ membership.
Check out some of Gwen's work for the Adirondack Explorer:
- "Adirondack Wildlife Refuge Transformation Is Ongoing," August 9, 2023.
- "State Investigating Cloudy Creek Near Barton Mines," July 14, 2023.
- "What Are the Fossil Fuel Alternatives for Rural Camp Owners?" May 19, 2023.
- "20-Megawatt Battery Installation Proposed in Raquette Lake," March 23, 2023.
- "Tree Cutting Policy 2.0: DEC Releases Draft Forest Preserve Work Plan," January 27, 2023.
- "What's Needed To Redevelop Adirondack Prisons? Commission Weighs In," December 22, 2022.
- "The Fight To Save Hemlocks," November 4, 2022.
- "With an Environmental Bond Act Before Voters, a Look Back to 1996," September 3, 2022.
- "Digging for Quarter-Century Records," September 2, 2022.
- "Take a Number or Wait in Line?," June 12, 2022.
- "How Successful Park Shuttles Could Be an Example for the Adirondacks," January 23, 2022.
Members: we want to put the #SEJSpotlight on you! Sign up here to participate.
Not yet a member? Join us today!