Meet SEJ member Matt Simmons! Matt is a writer and editor with a focus on the intersection between environment and natural resources and Indigenous Rights. After travelling and adventuring across the top half of British Columbia for several years, writing on conservation, cultural heritage and the joys of backcountry exploration, he settled in the northwestern part of the province, unceded Gidimt’en Clan territory, home of the Wet'suwet'en/Witsuwit’en Nation. Since setting up shop in the North, Matt authored "The Outsider’s Guide to Prince Rupert" — a trail guide and series of adventure narratives — and, as editor-in-chief, guided the path of a northern institution, Northword Magazine. These days, when he’s not writing or otherwise engaged in a creative project, he is up in the mountains, beside a river or sitting by a fire. Matt’s position at The Narwhal is made possible by the Local Journalism Initiative.
When asked how SEJ has made his job easier, Matt said, "I've been receiving the EJToday newsletter for years and always find something interesting there that leads me to potential stories or inspires me by leading me to read other journalists' work." Join Matt at SEJ today!
Check out some of Matt's work for The Narwhal:
- "A 'Revolt' Against the Court May Be Why B.C. Is Prosecuting 19 Arrested on Wet'suwet'en Territory," July 14, 2022.
- "One-on-One With the Leader of a Special RCMP Unit Tasked With Policing Opposition to Industrial Projects in B.C.," June 24, 2022.
- "Fires, Floods and Food Sovereignty: Facing Climate Disasters and Finding Hope in Northwest B.C.," June 17, 2022.
- "Coastal GasLink Could Face Million-Dollar Fines for Repeated Environmental Infractions," December 8, 2021.
- "Land Defenders Arrested on Wet’suwet'en Territory As RCMP Enforces Coastal Gaslink Injunction," November 18, 2021.
- "How the Blueberry Ruling in B.C. Is a Gamechanger for the Site C Dam, Extractive Industries and Indigenous Rights," November 1, 2021.
- "Gitxaała Nation Takes B.C. to Court Over Lack of Indigenous Consent in Mining Laws," October 26, 2021.
- "In Search of Haida Gwaii's Forest-Dwelling Hawk, One of the Most Endangered Species on the Planet," October 10, 2021.
Members: we want to put the #SEJSpotlight on you! Sign up here to participate.
Not yet a member? Join us today!