Meet SEJ member Nick Cunningham! Nick is a freelance reporter covering the oil and gas industry. In recent years, he has covered the U.S. shale industry, including the environmental, social, geopolitical and financial impacts associated with fracking. He has also covered the state and federal lobbying campaigns spearheaded by the oil and gas industry and its allies, aimed at prolonging the fossil fuel era. In 2021, Nick received an Honorable Mention for "Outstanding Beat Reporting" (small market) from SEJ for his coverage of "Fossil Fuel Resistance in the Pacific Northwest," a multipart series that explored oil and gas industry efforts to build pipelines, petrochemical facilities and export projects on the Pacific Coast, and the grassroots and often Indigenous-led resistance movements against them. Nick continues to report on the ongoing fossil fuel buildout around the country.
Nick recommends SEJ membership and said, "SEJ has a lot of resources to help develop reporting skills and find work, and the annual conferences are great for meeting other reporters and finding sources of inspiration." Join Nick at SEJ today!
See more of Nick's work:
- "The Salmon and the Snake," Oregon Business Magazine, May 25, 2021.
- "Surviving the Onslaught of Fracking in Argentina," The Real News Network, February 26, 2020.
More Pacific Northwest coverage:
- "The Pacific Northwest Has Defeated Dozens of Fossil Fuel Projects — But the Industry Still Wants to Quietly Expand," DeSmog, June 23, 2022.
- "Canada Steps Up Surveillance of Indigenous Peoples To Push Fossil Fuel Pipelines Forward," DeSmog, June 17, 2022.
- "Can Portland, Oregon, Stand Up to the Oil Industry?," Sierra Magazine, August 23, 2021.
These investigations broke a story wide open, and both have since been covered by OPB and The Oregonian, sparking broader scrutiny from members of the state legislature into the utility:
- "Gas Utility Sends Kid-Friendly Activity Books to Oregon Schools," DeSmog, May 25, 2022.
- "Oregon Gas Utility Wants to Bill Customers Millions for Executive Bonuses and ‘Misleading’ Advertising," DeSmog, May 9, 2022.
Members: we want to put the #SEJSpotlight on you! Sign up here to participate.
Not yet a member? Join us today!