Meet SEJ member Rick Weiss! In 2017, Rick founded SciLine, a philanthropically funded, free, nonprofit service that connects journalists directly to scientists and science-based facts for news stories, on deadline. He founded the organization in response to changes in the journalism landscape that saw a loss of specialty science reporters from many local newsrooms and a need to help local and general assignment reporters integrate more research-backed evidence into their reporting. He has more than three decades of experience in journalism and media affairs, including 15 years as a science reporter at The Washington Post, where he wrote more than 1,000 news and feature articles about the economic, societal, and ethical implications of advances in science and technology. Rick earned a bachelor’s degree in biology from Cornell University and a master’s degree in journalism from the University of California, Berkeley.
Rick recommends SEJ membership and said, “SEJ helps SciLine stay attuned to the hottest issues in environmental journalism, so we can fulfill our nonprofit mission of getting more environmental science into the news.” Join Rick — become a member today.
See some of Rick's work:
- Experts on Camera: "Dr. Hilary Seligman: Food Insecurity on the Rise," May 30, 2023.
- Media Briefing: "Coastal Flooding," May 15, 2023.
- Crash Course: "Science Essentials for Local Reporters," May 10, 2023.
- Media Briefing: "Avian Influenza Update," April 26, 2023.
- Experts on Camera: "Dr. Thomas Lyon: Corporate Sustainability Initiatives," April 13, 2023.
Members: we want to put the #SEJSpotlight on you! Sign up here to participate.
Not yet a member? Join us today!