|Download the SEJ brochure.|
SEJ member benefits include:
- SEJournal, the quarterly newsletter of the Society of Environmental Journalists where you'll find in-depth stories on hot topics on the environment beat; regular features such as Inside Story (interviews with and insights of journalists of winning work); Bits & Bytes and Reporter's Toolbox (practical, technical how-to's, from choosing a recorder to using Excel to photography); Research Roundup; Science Survey; Media on the Move; SEJ President's Report; E-Reporting Biz; Bookshelf (environmental book reviews) and The Beat (latest news trends from various media). SEJournal is available in print or electronically.
- EJToday, daily news digest of important stories with supporting information and links
- Freedom of information and right-to-know resources, including the award-winning WatchDog TipSheet.
- TipSheet, an e-mail newsletter (see online archives) offering story ideas and news sources for environment, energy, science, and health journalists. NOTE: SEJ regrets to announce that biweekly publication of the TipSheet was suspended after the February 29, 2012, issue. SEJ hopes to return to publication of TipSheet in the future, pending receipt of adequate funding. We welcome your help in identifying potential underwriters. Contact Executive Director Beth Parke.
- Deeply discounted entry fees for the SEJ Awards for Reporting on the Environment, which offers cash prizes in multiple categories for the year's very best environmental journalism in newspapers, magazines and newsletters and on radio, television and the Internet, as well as a book prize.
- A members-only mentoring program that pairs veteran environmental reporters with newcomers to the beat and with less experienced reporters who want to improve their skills. University-level students who've shown an interest in the field may also apply to participate in the program.
- Online resources, including SEJ's website where you'll find back issues of SEJournal and TipSheet, information on conferences and other upcoming events, notable examples of environmental journalism, members-only online directory and links to many sources of environmental information, from EPA files to toxicological briefs to satellite photos.
- Members-only e-mail listservs connect SEJ members for information exchange and discussion on emerging issues in environmental journalism (the SEJ-talk archives are a treasure trove of golden information); announcements of awards and fellowships; job postings; an environmental events calendar; a Spanish-language listserv; freelance issues, and more.
- Discount registration for annual and regional conferences, where journalists can come together with scientists, government officials and other news sources; learn the latest in computer-assisted reporting; study writing techniques with award-winners; tour local areas of interest to the beat and more.
- Members-only features online including SEJ membership directory.
- Have a description/hotlink to book(s) you've authored or edited on our SEJ members' books page.
Please join in the effort to strengthen the quality, reach and viability of journalism across all media to advance public understanding of environmental issues. Take a moment now to apply for either a North American or International membership with SEJ.