Find fellowships, conferences, grants and awards deadlines, workshops and networking opportunities, crowd-sourced leads to job banks, reporting toolkits, hundreds of MOOCs and more. GO >>
DEADLINE: Fund for Investigative Journalism (FIJ) Grants
The Fund for Investigative Journalism (FIJ) invites applications three or four times per year for stories that break new ground and expose wrongdoing – such as corruption, malfeasance, or misuse of power – in the public and private sectors. The Fund accepts applications for projects on domestic and international issues.
Regular grants of up to $10,000 cover out-of-pocket expenses such as travel, document collection, and equipment rental. The Fund also considers requests for small stipends.
Open to freelance journalists, staff reporters and media outlets. Investigations can be for print, online or broadcast stories, books, documentaries or podcasts.
Types of grants available:
- Regular grants: We review proposals three to four times a year for grants up to $10,000. The next deadline is Monday, January 29, 2024.
- Seed funding: We provide small grants of $1,000 to $2,500, for preliminary reporting that can lead to full investigations. These grants cover costs like open-records requests and initial reporting trips. The next deadline is Friday, February 16, 2024.
- Expedited grants: In rare cases, we provide expedited review for proposals that are extremely urgent and cannot wait for the regular review cycle. These proposals are reviewed on a rolling basis and applicants receive a decision within about two weeks.
- Follow-up grants: We accept proposals for timely follow-up coverage to original investigations that were produced with grants from the Fund. Grantees can apply for expedited review for follow-up grants up to $2,500.
- Emergency Grants: Threats to Democracy in the U.S.: These grants are for stories that break new ground and expose wrongdoing related to threats to democracy in the U.S. for up to $10,000. We will review proposals on a rolling basis. Grant decisions can be expected within 2-4 weeks of submission of application.
- Diversity Fellowship: In our commitment to increasing diversity in the field of investigative journalism, the Fund for Investigative Journalism offers diversity fellowships. Information about these fellowships will be posted to our website when applications are open.
Learn more about how to request mentorship in the application process from a past grantee.